Friday, October 5, 2007

Another 'Mere Meltdown

I really shouldn't be complaining about this situation but I am going to anyway. I say I shouldn't because Kristen just had her checkup and the doctor told me she was advanced in her motor skills but she was behind in her verbal skills. Which she then proceeded to tell me was very typical for little boys!! The doctor's not concerned because she says since she's surrounded by boys that is why she probably has these traits. So basically I have a really pretty nonverbal BOY! Blast if they haven't corrupted my little girl again!

So I should be happy Kristen does say a few words . They include More, Mom, Dad, Ball, Uh-Oh, NO, and of course the favorite 'Mere. In case you aren't aware of this word it is her version of Come Here. This is one word I wish I could delete from her limited vocabulary. This is also where my complaining comes in and the explanation of this title.

I know many of you are not familiar with the 'Mere Meltdown but it is a common occurrence in our home. It is a condition that Kristen has developed. Quite tragic really. At least for all those that live with her. It begins with an arm gently urging you to follow her and saying "Mere". Well, if you choose not to obey her demands that's when it gets interesting. Her arms both begin to flap frantically about like a new bird trying to take flight. Which would be amusing if it weren't for the noise that accompanies it. It is like a rapid fire gun, but much more high pitched and annoying-"MERE! MERE! MERE!. The shrieking continues until someone breaks and follows her. This pattern repeats countless times throughout my day. By the end of day I am ready to have my own 'Mere Meltdown.

I tried really hard to get the whole scenario on video but when she noticed the camera taping her she suddenly would stop so I never could get to the true meltdown. Just like her to not let me get evidence to prove my plight. However, I have found a great new use for my camera(meltdown stopper). I think most of the Richards' have witnessed this at Grandma and Grandpa's house and they can corroborate my story. Anyway, I do have a couple of beginnings of the 'Mere Meltdown' that you can at least kind of get the picture. It would help to understand better if you turn up your speakers as loud as possible and then play the video over and over throughout your day. Preferably just as you sit down to finally rest a moment.

WARNING: Continued viewing may cause headache, severe agitation, and/or the sudden urge to go lock yourself in your room.

7 comments:

Corrie- said...

Yeah, she's going to love this when she's older. Andy says he'll put in on a dvd to pop in when needed in later years.

Leslie said...

Oh my! That's got to be sooo fun! Brianna hasn't learned that one, but we do have multiple melt-downs per day.

You have such a talent for making everything funny! Although, I'm sure it's not funny in the moment.

My favorite part of this post:
The shrieking continues until someone BREAKS and follows her.

Dory said...

I feel your pain. For me it's when I hear from the other side of the house,"WIPE ME!" I think I've mentioned this on a previous post. I guess it goes to show how annoying it is.

Mama D said...

Oh, the meltdowns are so draining and so difficult! I hate them! (But I have my own as well, so I try to be patient with them...)

Laura's most recent addition to her own version of this most famous of childhood renderings is to clasp her hands with interlocking fingers (almost as if she's praying), put them right up in my face, and say over and over "Please, Please, PLEASE. I promise I will (or I won't)... P-L-E-A-S-E..." Repeated over and over, increasing in volume and intensity each time. She is very strong-willed; she doesn't give up. It goes on and on and on -- just like the Energizer Bunny!

I get tired and frustrated just thinking about gearing up for the next one... I feel your pain!

Louann and Bari said...

Geez--I've just read Mama D's post and that sounds exactly (but without the hand gestures)like my 20 year old!!!I haven't given in yet- I wonder why he thinks I'll change.

Steve and Jamie said...

How funny! It is always funny when the child belongs to someone else. Kristen cracks me up.

Papa D said...

Laura - the ultimate example of "there must needs be opposition in(side) all things" - such an amazingly precocious and loving child who shares a body with such a demented crybaby.