It has been reaffirmed this week in our home that we are not good pet people. We had a loss this week--Colin bought a fish last year for his birthday and after 6 months of different names he settled on Colin Jr.Unfortunately he is now gone. Now I know this is not shocking to anyone who has seen the murky water he often found himself swimming in but that's not what sealed his fate. As a true Richards' he died of stubbornness. Kevin was cleaning his bowl and he would not go into the little dish to await his fresh water. Instead he kept swimming to the end of the bowl where the water was no longer.. let's just say he had a little too much fresh air.
We broke the news to Colin and he appeared very sad--for about 30 seconds and then replies Well I guess I can get that mouse I wanted now. Umm wait..what..
We have gone through about 4 or 5 fish, a hamster, and 2 turtles. All but the turtles ended up dead and that's probably just because they ran away! I like the idea of pets, the whole thing where it gives your kids a sense of responsibility and a companion but it's the application of it that I can't stand. You see we get the pet-pet is fun for about a week-comes time to feed, clean out cage or bowl and suddenly it is now Mom or Dad's pet. I have 5 kids I don't need another thing to feed, take to the doctor, keep up with shots, and potty train with the inevitable "accidents" to clean up. So for now I will enjoy being pet free . I feel a little more free already!
9 comments:
I know the feeling. We had a Beta who jumped out of the transfer net when I went to clean his bowl, an activity that had been successful several times before. The good thing was that it was right before a vacation, and I had given no thought about who would care for him.
I'm so glad that Colin took it so well! We got Connor 2 feeder fish (15 cents apiece) for her 2nd birthday...they're still going strong! I'm afraid we'd all cry if any of them died.
Here, Here on having 5 kids and not needing a pet to take care of. I agree whole-heartedly.
I agree - if you have a lot of kids, you don't need pets! We try to teach responsibility in other ways.
I agree about the pets, ha- 5 kids, 2 out of the nest. 4 birds, 2 cats, #? fish. But real rules. I didn't want any 'baby' pets that needed special feeding, pampering, potty training. I've done enough of that!!! Good luck. Besides, your kids are as cute as any baby animals I have ever seen.
I just wish I could go with out pets, I am amazed at people who don't have them and envy them.For some sick reason I am addicted to pet stores, and struggle not to come home with all of the animals. But it's true pets seem to have little effect on teaching kids responsibilities, and giving mom's a lot more chores to do.
Amen to having 5 kids and enough to take care of already! Your children will be far more of a blessing to you than pets ever will. (And without a pet you have more time to spend with them and will probably be less cranky and stressed!) With any luck you'll be able to stay pet-free for awhile!
PS- I hated missing book club this month!! I loved your selection and was looking forward to being there, but David's parents came for an unexpected visit and Aimee had a band rehearsal. I hope it was as fun as ever!
I never realized Colin was so narcissistic. Colin Jr.?? That's a hoot!
Anyway, we definately have the same parents because I feel the same way about pets. I have decided we like them in theory, we just don't want the actual application of it all!!!
Pets punishment for those good-hearted enough to have them. Luckily, I'm not that good-hearted.
Post a Comment