Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The not so Wonderful Workout

I have a new workout regiment these days. It happens twice a day for at least an hour each time. I can't say I would recommend it to anyone and frankly I would love to eliminate this "workout" from my day. However in an attempt to not wallow in self pity I will look on the bright side and at least this is forcing me to do some form of exercise. OK so the workout begins like this:

Strength training--that is I carry Kristen into her room and place her in her bed.

Cardio is next-I walk back to the living room sit down and then hear banging on the door or door opening. I then go back to the room put her back in bed(more strength training) and then back to the living room. Repeat this process at least 10 times throughout the hour.

Deep breathing- this is included after every return trip to the living room. I breathe deep to lower my heart rate which is now highly elevated due to extreme agitation, some physical exertion, and massive frustration.

I really think it is cruel and unusual punishment she discovered her ability to get out of her crib Now of all times after I have the baby. She has had the ability for months, I know this because if she can scale the cabinets and end up in the freezer perusing her snack choices, she sure could climb over the measly edge of her crib. I think she has been plotting the dramatic unveiling of her new skills for the most inopportune moment which of course would be NOW! None of my other boys ever did this. They could have but they never really tried. I'm learning a whole new aspect of patience and endurance. I tried the whole Supernanny approach--which I don't watch often but on occasion. Mostly when I'm feeling like I'm a terrible mother and my kids are out of control. I then tune in and instantly feel much better as I watch the train wreck other families got going on. I then turn off the TV give thanks for my kids, and then realize hey I guess things really aren't that bad. Anyway her little just keep putting them back and not talking to them while you do it thing works for her in like a day or 2. Whatever! It's been over a week and I've been consistent for once about something and everyday it's the same. I'm sure if I had a British stranger lady come and put her back in bed she probably would stay too but I don't seem to have any of those on hand.

Anyway I guess I will put the whole Outwit, Outplay, Outlast theme to my own personal use. The unfortunate part is when the workout is done I find any chocolate or treat that will soothe my frustration so really I negate all the calories I just burned off. Oh well I guess I can live with that. Below are pictures of when I went in the room. Once she took all the trouble to climb out of the crib but was just to lazy to finish the process and fell asleep on the floor in front of the door instead of taking the effort to try and open it.(which is tricky for her to open it but with some work she can do it) The other picture is I went in and she had climbed the bookcase and was just sitting there. The day before that she had found a marker and drawn all over the dressers.

14 comments:

Louann and Bari said...

Any workout is a good workout.

I remember -vividly-- the first night Madeline was home from the hospital. I was rocking her in the living room. She was very fussy and wouldn't sleep. I was exhausted. Katy and Joey were asleep on the floor in front of me. I kept thinking (all night long)-some day she'll be sleeping all night, too. Someday.
Your sweetie daughter might never be a very good napper (none of my 4 were)- but it all works out. You'll figure it out. Promise.
Love you to death lil' Mama!!!

Cassie Rakes said...

I love the bookcase picture. I can only imagine the reaction when you found her. Good luck on the bed time thing, I really can't remember how long it took with Hallie but it was a while.

Steve and Jamie said...

We've gone through this with Allison twice in the last year. It's MADDENING! I tried the Super-Nanny thing too, but my British accent was not strong enough I guess.

The thing that finally worked the first time was to give a toy or a book to play with when I put her to bed. If she got up then I took it away from her. I usually had to give her a warning the first time and then take it away the second time. I don't know if it will work with Kristen--Allison was several months older when she went through this phase.

The second time I finally figured out that she was ready to give up her afternoon nap. It was a very sad time for me.

My dad reminded me constantly that two-year-olds have very poor impulse control. I have to keep repeating that as a mantra in my head.

chelle said...

I am impressed you are working out so soon after having Benjamin!! lol
Really, I am sorry little Kristen doesn't have Jo there to whip her in shape...oops Jo doesn't spank. Dang it! =\
I have no answers as my kids rarely sleep in there beds. They are usually all over the house. So if Kevin were in our fire dept...he would be searching the couch, floors, closets etc.
Hope she wears out soon. (at least before you do anyway!)

Mama D said...

Well, at least you are trying to look on the bright side and are keeping your sense of humor!

All 6 of my kids gave up naps very early. And they were moved to a regular bed at a young age because they learned to climb out of the crib, and it was just safer to move them out than try to keep them in!

You know, the timing probably has to do with her subconscious attempt to bring some of the attention back to her little princess self as she adjusts to being a big sister.

Hang in there and continue your deep breathing exercises! Good luck!

Leslie said...

Four more.
Three more.
Two more.
Ever notice how, in work outs, you never actually get to ONE?? Nope as soon as you get close, the trainer says something like, "o.k., other side."

I think Kristin is confused. She thinks she is your trainer. Eye, yi,yi! Good luck!!

Papa D said...

The bookcase picture is priceless. It's hard in the end to be mad at such a cute kid. That's "in the end" - not during the process. *sigh*

Patty said...

I love how you find the humor in the most exasperating situations! You've definitely got a strong-willed one in Kristen. Just remember that her strong will can be applied to good as well as to "bad" things and can end up being a blessing later on.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Oh Heather. You are dealing with so much right now. I'm so sorry! I hope she gives you lots of hugs and kisses during the day to make up for it all. Can you turn the door knob the otherway so that you lock it from the outside? I don't know if it would be any better to hear her crying from the otherside though. Hmmm...for now, I'm SO sorry! Oh, and THANKS for my bday gift...it was lunch on my way home!

Corrie- said...

Remember how you prayed for your princess? I bet you wish she wasn't so good at being so different from your boys! She's a smartie for sure.

At least you're keeping pace with your intake of calories with your new exercise plan. I would like to sign up for the Kristen Nap workout class. Does she make home visits?

Holley said...

Wow! This is so crazy, a friend of mine was just telling me that her son started doing this so she took an old sheet and tied it on all four corners of the crib so it made a covered wagon effect. Her kid couldn't stand up but could breathe through the slats. So now when she put him down she just asks him if he wants to sleep in the covered wagon or not.

I thought it was totally funny but have never tried it. One other funny one. Do you remember the Lunds? They had three little kids and did an internship one summer at GE. Well one day his kid wouldn't stay in her crib so he turned it upside down. It made kind of a cage effect and she had to sleep there. And from then on he just asked her if she wanted to sleep in the cage.

(not that I am recommending any of these...just funny. But if your looking for new ways...)

Crazy crazy,
Hang in there,
Holley

Jen said...

You need the Cozy Crib Tent II!

Kinda pricey, but it would work. I have a friend (with twins!) who used these.

I totally feel for you, though. My son has the capability to climb out, but has never really gone there. I'm so glad, but I'm just waiting for the day...

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775&cmSource=Search

Pampered Princess said...

Dang I hate the climbing out of the crib stage. Savannah started waking up in the night and wandering last year. This was while I was driving Jessica to seminary and every day she and I would creep out of the house and look up at the windows, hoping against hope that Savannah wouldn't be standing at one bawling her eyes out! Sometimes, she rode along. Now, I find her sleeping on the floor a lot. But, most often, she is sleeping in Shane's spot when I wake up. I never let a kid sleep in my bed, but during the seminary driving stage I gave up. Now, I kind of miss her when she's not there. Weird!

carrie said...

kate just would not take a nap around the age of 2 1/2 and after awhile i gave up and let her stay up and just put her to bed a little earlier at night. the payoff? she slept for a long, long time overnight and it gave me more time to myself which meant more time to get things done. just a thought.

major kudos to you dear...i didn't find the strength or the energy to workout until kate was about 9 months old. ;)