Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lessons Learned..

First of all I have to declare to all that I am evidently a big fat liar. I promised my 6 year old when we were watching the recent weather updates on Hurricane Gustav and then when they started talking about Ike coming that there was no way a Hurricane would ever come up to Ohio. It's the Midwest for heavens sake and not an Ocean within miles and miles and miles. This comforted him and his weather anxiety and then....Well what do you know I have to eat my words and get the look of complete betrayal as we sit in the dark with winds swirling around our windows. At least we just had the wind and not the rain right..Still getting the stare.. OK I'm sorry I was wrong!!!

I did learn some other things this week. I learned I'm not nearly prepared enough for any emergency. We did have a 72 hour kit but it needs some work. Cheap batteries and flashlights are not the way to go. Unless your emergency is approximately 1-2 hours and then in that case you are set. Candles may be good as well. I had two scented candles that were 3/4 of the way gone. They didn't make very much light but dang if it didn't smell great in the dark.

I learned that it is impossible to explain to a 2 year old why her beloved TV and computer don't work. She thought I was holding out on her or punishing her. She just kept carrying around DVD's wailing and crying. I don't know what is more sad the fact she was so confused and distraught or the fact she is apparently way too dependent on TV and nickjr.com. So I guess I'm a liar and a negligent mother.

I also learned that in an emergency I will be a single parent. I kind of knew this in theory but the reality never really hit me until this trial run. Kevin will always have to go in to work during any emergency situation. I am not a particularly independent person. I feel quite comfortable relying on my husband for comfort and support. Yet everything in my adult life has pushed me to realize that I can be a strong independent woman. DISCLAIMER: I may realize it and can do it but I still don't like doing it. Dealing with 5 kids with no electricity in the dark who are scared and at times completely irrational(I heard many cries of "We're going to die!") was not fun but we made it through and I know that I need to better prepare myself with knowledge on how to do "survival" type things so I can have the confidence to handle whatever comes. Hey maybe it will be a tsunami next. Sitting there hating the situation and wishing it weren't so doesn't really accomplish anything so you just have to accept it and deal with it so to quote the great show GI Joe--Knowledge is Power! I will be more ready next time.

I also learned how great it is to have wonderful neighbors and friends. They gave me some support, good company, and a flashlight that worked! Also thanks to the great firemen who put up with me and my 5 kids running around the well lit firehouse. They also gave me some extra water and food which I greatly appreciated! So we survived and have learned a lot. It's funny how we have to learn things isn't it.

5 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

So I love a good storm, but really? That's a bit much. Glad you survived! Better luck next time which hopefully is never.

Leslie said...

I would have, and HAVE, given the same comforting words to Ben. Hmmm, I'm not ready to eat my words.

I think I'll go buy a new flash-light, and a few battery-packs for the portable DVD player. I don't think I could handle hearing Brianna say, "Princess and the Pauper" (her current favorite "princess" movie) 800 million times during a power outage.

I'm sorry that you have to be a single parent during emergencies. That's when you most need the comfort of your hubby. At least I would.

Patty said...

Somehow you manage to make even a hurricane in Ohio humorous! I think this was a great test for our emergency preparedness- thank goodness the weather was so perfect (once the wind left, anyways!) I was surprised when David only got one call that first night and then nothing else. I was fully prepared to have to be an "independent" woman for at least a few days!

Mama D said...

You put such a humorous spin on even the most difficult situations! Sorry you were/will be a single parent in this/similar emergency situations. You are much stronger and courageous than you give yourself credit for being. We all learned some lessons with this 'hurricane in the midwest... say what?!' situation. And hey, count your blessings. At least a tree didn't almost break through your house!

Louann and Bari said...

I'm glad that if you have to be a 'disaster widow' at least you have a neighborhood of saints nearby.
Believe me, it would have been even worse in the 'old house'.