Friday, November 2, 2007

Happy Halloween!

Our Halloween went very smooth so I am thrilled with the lack of drama or stress. I had one embarrassment and several annoyances. My embarrassment came when this little kid approaches in a spiderman suit, the problem was they had this really long pretty hair so before I even take in the whole scene carefully I say, "Oh look, it's Spidergirl." OK I then see the boy more closely and realize my mistake. I try to play it off for a minute but you can't play that off without then looking more stupid so I just don't make eye contact hand the kid a large handful of candy and hope I didn't scar him for life. My annoyances this year was not with my family at all but the laziness of some other kids today. I totally understand and back the desire to get as much free candy as you can at any age. As a mother now I just enjoy reaping the benefits of my childrens' labor. I'm not a stickler for you having to be a certain age but could you at least make an attempt at some sort of a costume. I had several pack of 'kids' ,if you call 14-15 yr olds kids, that came up totally in their regular clothes and some didn't even have a bag. One kid had his school backpack opened and one of the girls just opened her purse. One kid is texting on his cell phone the whole time he is holding his bag with the other hand.Come on now really, could you not at least take a sibling or find a little kid like we would do to take out so you weren't conspicuous but could then stick out your own bag on the down low.Thanks by the way to my friends little brother for helping out his sisters' friends for several years. Anyway, if I had any kind of guts I would have refused them candy unless they at least did a trick or something. However, I am the queen of non confrontation so of course I hand each of them candy(I did give them the smallest pieces I had) and then mumble to myself. I'm to chicken if denied they will come back and smash my pumpkin or worse. Next year if that happens I'm going to give those kids an apple or a carrot or something. So oh well at least my kids earned there massive loot the good old fashioned way-- Dressed up and adorable. I am also happy to report there were definitely no half-jobs going on this evening. They each put some major effort in accumulating as much candy as possible. Especially Colin who isn't known for his stamina. Kevin who took them reported that Colin lasted the longest with no complaint as he determinedly slung his pillowcase (quite heavy with sweet goodness by this point) over his shoulder as he marched on with his mission. One more house equals one more piece of candy!

6 comments:

ANTSYLLI said...

What's life without a few embarrassments now and again? I just found your blog and love your thoughts. You know, we have half-jobs that get done in the Johnson house all the time...I admit that I am guilty of doing a half-job at times...Do I get a pass because I am tired from working all day?
As for the older kids begging candy...to me it is a sad indication of the "entitlement" mentality that many in society have today. You owe me, so give it up. We stopped entertaining Trick or Treaters in our neighborhood years ago...(we just don't have many kids here anymore). However, faced with whether to treat them or not, I agree that I would be a chicken and give them something, too. Better to treat than to be tricked! I really like the idea of giving them a healthy treat--you go girl!

Steve and Jamie said...

I think we had the same trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood. I even had a couple of FULL-GROWN ADULTS (with their kids) who had a bag for themselves. What? My non-confrontational self had enough though when the kids started jumping off my porch and into my flower beds. It would have taken two extra seconds to walk down the steps. I'm afraid that I almost lost it at that point. At least I tried to be nice about it--I didn't want them to egg my house!

Dory said...

How sad that we have to worry about being tricked by disgruntled teens. I'm pretty non-confrontational too but I like to think I'd say "Heck no!" I make Mark hand out the candy cause in my nieghborhood everyone sits out on their porch and even this year it was too cold for me.
By the way it doesn't suprise me that Colin the "Twizzwer" man was the last one standing!

Papa D said...

I have a tiny spot of understanding for the teenagers, but I love the idea of apples for them. I truly love it.

Adults with a bag for themselves? That simply is amazing - says the man who walks into the bishop's office each week to shake his hand do I can get candy.

Patty said...

I think maybe you should take something from Charlie Brown's Halloween special... give those kids rocks in their bags!!

Ingrid said...

I saw your blog on Corrie's and it is fun to see your family and how they have grown these last few years. You crack me up.
So I completely agree with the old trick-or-treaters. We have a lot of them here in Las Vegas. We have actually had several that could be parents only they don't have kids with them. They have duffle bags and just open it up for you to drop the candy in. A lot of them are not in costume,(I am not sure whether that is good or bad)and many of them seem to be missing teeth. Perhaps they should have given up the trick-or-treating long ago.