Here is a glimpse into our wonderful Washington DC getaway. It was our kind of pre-Anniversary /Kevin's b-day trip. Since I'm due like 3 days after our 10th anniversary we decided we would have to celebrate now. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed getting away from regular schedules for awhile. Thanks again so much to Mom and Dad Richards for taking in our jedis. We owe you big time. We did however really misjudge the amount of walking it was going to require here. The magic number was 2 blocks it seemed to get anywhere but if you add that up like a million times and then factor in the pregnancy conversion (2 blocks=6 blocks) then we did some marathon walking.
Some highlights were seeing the capital and taking the tour.

It was funny because if you know Kevin at all you know he is very much a conservative and to get a tour you had to go to your senator from your state. Well he was going out of his way to find the Republican senator but after we looked and looked for his office he had to suck up his pride and reluctantly be dragged into the Democratic senator and ask for the tour. I told him look on the bright side at least you made them do some work today! The tour was led by this guy from Sweden, here on a school visa, which is funny he is telling us all about American history and democracy. He did a good job though. Kevin did too, he taught the guy a few things as well(watching all that CSPAN really paid off). We got our picture with the Brigham Young statue.

We got to meet some great old(known for along time) friends Dave and Cheryl for dinner. That was fun and their little boy was so cute. Thanks again Dave for making this whole thing possible by introducing me to Kevin.

At the end of day 1 we were dead tired. We were a sad sight I tell you. On the way back to the hotel

we had kind of an extended metro ride and all of a sudden his stomach is not doing so well. Next thing I know he is like "we have to get off now" Well this was not our stop but I get the picture. I can't walk another extra step so I say I will stay and sit on the bench and he reluctantly agrees and takes off. Well unfortunately there was no bathroom in that station so the poor guy had to cross the street and go to the George Washington Memorial Hospital ER. With every moment pretty crucial here he gets stopped by a guard who wants to see ID. He then tells the guy "I need a bathroom NOW!! OK meanwhile here I am in this station waiting on a bench and I look up and see the name of the station we are at : FOGGY BOTTOM. I thought it was a funny irony.
SO were back on the train finally get to our stop and I literally can barely walk. I have this weird limp, hobble thing going on and am moving like a snail. Poor Kevin is trying to help me walk our 2 blocks back to the hotel while I know he needs a bathroom again and fast. It was really pathetic to watch, I know this because one of the homeless men who had been standing in the cold misty rain all day actually looked sorry for us!

The next day was way better, Kevin was fine, I was sore but we factored in the previous

mentioned conditions and just saw the White House and then spent the day in the temple. Thanks to Jeremy and Jen for being our taxi to the temple and then having a great dinner with them. It was appreciated and their daughter was adorable. I forgot how big and beautiful that temple is. It was really neat to compare being married there almost 10 years ago and see where we are now. The picture contrast was not

so fun to compare however.

We thought we would do all this sleeping in and relaxing but we both couldn't seem to sleep past 7:30 or 8am that was frustrating. However, leisurely waking up and not being jumped on by a hungry cranky child is precious not matter what time it may be.On Sunday,we found a nearby church and went to sacrament meeting and some of Sunday School(which by the way Shayleen your lessons are way better!) Then we were off to the airport. Below picture is Pentagon from the air.

Which was another funny story because we found ourselves waiting on the plane for about 30 minutes for a "missing" crew member to take off. Then walks in the Captain who's watch apparently "broke" so he had no idea he was so late.That is one delay I have never heard of before. Bad weather yes lost pilot no. So that was our summarized trip. I loved seeing new things and spending time with just Kevin. That doesn't happen very often so it was a great experience I will remember for a long time. Thanks Kevin for thinking of this and making it happen!
10 comments:
Sounds like you had a great get-away! I'm glad you and Kevin had this time together.
You know, you should remember about all this walking when you want to stimulate contractions! lol
Foggy Bottom? How appropriate.
"one of the homeless men who had been standing in the cold misty rain all day actually looked sorry for us!"
I love your sense of humor, Heather.
I loved D.C. I would like to get back sometime with my family, but with just my wife might even be better.
I'm jealous. It's sounds heavenly (well, kind of). So glad you are back safely though. Thanks for the comment...we all know the truth though ;)
My favorite temple in the world -besides Nauvoo!!!!
You two deserve a quiet weekend together! They are the best.
Welcome home.
Loved the pictures. I, too am jealous because I love DC. Someday I will tell you about the time I went there with Eric's parents. It was an interesting trip.
Yeah! I'm glad you guys got away from the kids. I'm impressed that you walked so much. If I was the pregnant tourist, we'd probably walk for about 5 minutes and then call it quits (I'm a wuss).
I'm so glad you had this opportunity! You deserve it! And other than not feeling so well, and all the walking combined with the pregnancy thing, I'm a bit jealous!
I'm glad you were able to get away before Todd Todd arrives. Overall, it sounds like a great trip!
Looks like you guys had a fun little "babymoon". I can't believe it's been 10 years!!!
I'm a little surprised you didn't share the bathroom story when I asked how your trip was. ha ha.
If it had been Mark and I, I would have been the one in the bathroom. I always get sick on trips!
Post a Comment