Saturday, April 26, 2008

7 More Reasons..

Here are 7 more reasons my family may like Star Wars too much. See 7 reasons for my previous list.

1. My kids can't name all the planets in our real solar system but they not only know all the names of the planets in Star Wars but also the climate on all the planets. All weather conditions have a corresponding planet that they can play they are on that "level". If it is raining then they are on Kamino, if it is snowing they are on Hoth, if the sun is setting and appears orange it is Tatooine.
2. Some little girls push their dolls or stuffed animals around in little strollers but not ours. She is pushing the Tie Fighter(Darth Vader's ship) in hers.
3. My table has been completely taken over by Star Wars legos. It is a permanent landing pad. In order to eat dinner we have to remove all the ships or cities that are covering it or for lunch and breakfast they just scoot them all to the middle. This is not the centerpiece I envisioned on my table. I didn't have a picture of them on my table but imagine all these and more sitting in front of you while you are eating your breakfast.
4. When I was talking to them about pets they decided how cool it would be if they could have a taun taun (that thing Luke rides in the snow) or even better their very own ewok. This one actually works for me because I don't want a pet so if they continue just to want creatures that don't really exist I'm set.

5. It is not uncommon for a star wars movie to be playing on the TV while one is playing Star Wars Battlefront on the computer and the other playing Star Wars Lego on the gameboy. Most likey there are the corresponding toys all over the floor to go along with whatever episode is on.

6. They are way to pleased with Ben's name. After inquiring I realized that they liked it because he was like Ben Kenobi. Blast! They got a Star wars name after all. I'm sure this was Kevin's secret plan as well. It was way to easy to get him to get over his "No names that can be shortened rule".

7. One of my children approached me and said "Do you want to hear what I memorized". I'm thinking sure is it a scripture, an article of faith maybe. OK no- how about something from scouts or school. Nope. He memorized the Jedi Code. OK I wasn't really aware that there was actually a written code but apparently there is and it's quite detailed. I'm listing it not because I really think that anyone wants to read it but merely to show the length of it.
Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
Jedi use their powers to defend and to protect, never to attack others.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
I can't imagine the amount of time it takes to memorize something word for word that really has absolutely no application in the real world. I'm sure Kevin would adamantly disagree with this and in fact have an argument how this code has some deep spiritual focus that can keep you centered in life.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

Hilarious!! I especially like the one about Ben's name! The Jedi code is pretty impressive.

Steve and Jamie said...

He, he. Thanks for providing me with a laugh. May the force be with you.

Steve and Jamie said...

He, he. Thanks for providing me with a laugh. May the force be with you.

Corrie- said...

Todd Todd would have been better after all! You're such a great writer Heather, add that talent to your already lengthy list of things you're amazing at.

Joan Richards said...

I do believe some of the blame for this obsession must come from Kevin's upbringing. It is true that the only approved movie for Sunday was Star Wars when Kevin was young. Then he serves a mission in Japan where they used Star Wars to teach gospel principles to investigators. Never thought about the Ben connection until now. I should have thought of that years ago. Maybe then I could have had a "Ben".

chelle said...

I always love to read your posts Heather. I agree with Corrie. You are an amazing writer.
I too think the Jedi code has some pretty important life skills in there. Just remind them of those Jedi traits when they get out of line. I doubt any of your kids would want to lose the force. Hmm it just might work?!?!

Cassie Rakes said...

that's funny, wow a little obsessive are they, haha

Reynolds Family said...

That cracks me up! Your kids are so funny.

Patty said...

Your posts always make me smile! I'd have to agree with the kids about wanting an ewok as a pet- they're the cutest part of Star Wars!! (And perfect for you since they're not real!) And I love the part about Ben's name... I guess the force was with you on that one- even if you didn't want it to be!!

Mama D said...

I think the force is a permanent part of your life, whether you want it to be or not. You have to admit that it could be something much worse, though. I want to know if your kids have ever actually *called* him Ben Kenobi! Maybe Ben will be the means of helping you see some small blessings in the midst of all the Star Wars addiction! :)

Papa D said...

The second picture (the stroller) ust killed me! It might just be the funniest thing I've seen in a long, long time.